Construction Material Testing (CMT) has an immediate need for an experienced geotechnical driller based out of Houston, TX; Westlake, LA; Atlanta, GA or Mobile, AL. This position is responsible for the operation of the drill rig and performs drilling functions for the subsurface collection of soils for future laboratory testing and analysis.
Functions of the Position
- Uses drilling equipment to drill into the ground to retrieve soils samples
- Ensures accurate visual inspections of soil samples
- Logs inspection results for reporting purposes
- Holds the drill rod during the drilling process
- Responsible for loading and unloading drilling equipment in and out of the company vehicle
- Drives company vehicle to and from work sites
- Communicates effectively with clients, employees, and supervisors
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Two years’ experience in geotechnical drilling
- Experience in instrumentation installation and wireline rock coring required
- Valid CDL is preferred, not required
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be able to follow verbal instructions
- Basic computer skills required
- Ability to work in the outside elements of the field up to 100% of scheduled work hours
- Required to remain standing for up to 8 hours per workday and walk on uneven/unstable surfaces, concrete, grass, dirt, gravel
- Must be able to bend, stoop and climb
- Must be able to effectively communicate verbally
- Required to be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to manipulate with hands to screw and unscrew equipment, operate tools and machinery
- Must be able to drive a company vehicle in a safe manner
- Ability to travel and stay overnight, work flexible schedules including overtime, based on the workload of the Drilling Department
CMT was formed in 1951 to provide quality assurance, and quality control for new and existing construction projects related to the Agriculture, Commercial/Retail, Disaster Response, Federal, Financial, Healthcare, Industrial, Logistics, Oil & Gas, Power Generation/Transmission, Technology, Telecommunications, and Transportation/Infrastructure industries as well as community development. As a engineering consulting firm we specialize as a geotechnical drilling, materials testing, construction inspection and chemistry laboratory testing firm, we championed the engineering and construction industry. Our early years testing agricultural chemical analysis were the building blocks for our employee-owned company.
Today, CMT is known for leadership on projects defining skylines, coastlines, and transportation lines. We support clients in the industrial, commercial, transportation, federal, and municipal markets. We are often the first company on projects conducting environmental assessments, land surveys, geotechnical studies then performing material testing during the construction phase. Our project and construction management and construction services often keep us on the project through completion. We are a proven leader assisting owners during the planning, design, and then construction of major industrial, transportation, communal developments, and waterfront projects across the Southeast United States.